3.5 pounds Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
3 pounds Weiss (Wheat) Dry Malt Extract
1 pound Caramel 60L
15/16 ounce Cascade pellet hops (5.0 alpha)
1/2 ounce Saaz pellet hops (6.8 alpha)
1/2 ounce Spalt pellet hops (2.0 alpha)
Wyeast German Ale (1007)
1 tablespoon Irish Moss
16+ ounces Lactose
6 ounces Vanilla Extract
Makes 5 gallons.
- Steep the Caramel in 2 gallons of 150 - 165 degree water for 45 minutes.
- Remove the Caramel and rinse with 1/2 gallon of water into the 2 gallons boiled.
- Bring this to a rolling boil.
- Stir in 3 pounds of wheat and 3 pounds of extra light dry malt extract.
- The boil will take 60 minutes.
- Add the Cascade hops at the boils start.
- Add the Saaz hops to the boil 40 minutes in.
- Add 4 ounces of Lactose to the boil 45 minutes in.
- Add the Irish Moss to the boil at 50 minutes.
- At 60 minutes add the Spalt hops and boil for a minute then take if off the heat.
- Filter the wort into the primary fermenter.
- Pitch the yeast.
- Add 2 ounces of the vanilla extract.
- Top the primary off to just over 5 gallons.
- Rack to the secondary fermenter after a week
- Bottle when fermentation subsides, after ~1.5 weeks.
Friday, April 15, 2011
18:00 - Activate smack pack of Wyeast German Ale yeast.
22:00 - Pitch yeast into starter and let sit.
Sat, April 16, 2011
11:50 - Put 2 gallons of water on the burner.
12:05 - Water temp 150+. Trying to stabilize between 150 - 165 for steeping.
12:25 - Water stable@ 160 adding 1# 60L Caramel to steep for 45 minutes.
12:35 - Sanitized Primary and air lock. added 2 Gal of water to the primary.
13:10 - Remove Caramel and rinse with 1/2 gal water.
13:30 - Bring water to boil. Add 3# Wheat DME and 3# Extra Light DME and 7/8oz Cascade (5.0 alpha) pellet hops.
14:15 - Add 1/2oz of Saaz (6.8 alpha) pellet hops to the boil.
14:20 - Add 4oz of Lactose to the boil.
14:25 - Add 1tsp of Irish Moss to the boil.
14:35 - Kill the heat and add 1/2oz of Spalt (2.0) pellet hops.
14:36 - Take boil off heat and add to primary through double mesh filter. Pitch the yeast. Add 2oz of vanilla. Top off to just over 5 gal.
14:45 - Stored in cool (~70F), dark place.
Gravity: 1.050 Percentage: 6% Balling Point: 12.5
Sun, April 24, 2011
11:10 - Siphoned from primary fermenter to secondary fermenter and put back into its cool dark space.
Gravity: 1.020 Percentage: 2% Balling Point: 5
Sat, April 07, 2011
14:00 - Primed with 1/2 cup of dextrose. 14:05 - Bottled and stored in a cool dark place.
Gravity: 1.019 Percentage: 1.75% Balling Point: 4.5